Basic GTD: Deal with your agreements
You usually feel bad when you do not get things done that you had committed to do, but this feeling of anxiety and guilty is not because of the many things you have to do. Frustration comes up when you break an agreement that you have made with yourself.
You have three options to deal with your agreements, without generating negative feelings that lead you to lose self-confidence:
- Do not make the agreement. A good way to remove incomplete stuff—especially old stuff—is to decide that you are not going to do anything with it. Tossing things to the trash and learning to say no to internal commitments that you do not want or need to do, will make you much more consistent with what you are really committed to do.
- Complete the agreement. Completing an action produces a very positive psychological impact, but it is easy only when you know exactly what it is and why you must do it.
- Renegotiate your agreement. Most often, this is the best strategy. Your world—and your priorities—are constantly changing, and it is not uncommon that today you cannot accomplish something that you had committed some time ago. It is fine, renegotiating an agreement does not mean breaking it.
Of course, first you have to collect all your current agreements. If you do not have an whole inventory of all your work you cannot decide what to do, what not to do and what to renegotiate.
This post is closed to new comments.
Try it FREE for 30 days
Learn how to live a more productive, less stressed life.
- On Capturing and Processing at Once, and the GTD's Misunderstood Lack of Flexibility
- 6 Unusual Ways To Do The Work
- 7 Tips for Staying Productive While Traveling
- How to Use the 50-30-20 Rule to Get More Done
- Being Present
- Why You Do Not Usually Make The Best Decision
- FacileThings: Changelog (April 2015)
- Self-management: Bottom-up Approach
Don't you know FacileThings?
On Capturing and Processing at Once, and the #GTD's Misunderstood Lack of Flexibility http://facilethings.com/blog/en/gtd-flexibility
Posted on May 25, 08:27
Just published: 6 Unusual Ways To Do The Work http://facilethings.com/blog/en/unusual-ways-to-do-the-work #productivity
Posted on May 18, 08:39
Just published: 7 Tips for Staying Productive While Traveling http://facilethings.com/blog/en/productive-while-traveling #productivity
Posted on May 11, 08:35
How to Use the 50-30-20 Rule to Get More Done http://facilethings.com/blog/en/50-30-20-rule-to-get-more-done by @KaylaEMatthews
Posted on May 04, 07:27
Just published: Being Present http://facilethings.com/blog/en/being-present #life #productivity #gtd
Posted on Apr 27, 07:28