Basic GTD: Deal with your agreements
You usually feel bad when you do not get things done that you had committed to do, but this feeling of anxiety and guilty is not because of the many things you have to do. Frustration comes up when you break an agreement that you have made with yourself.
You have three options to deal with your agreements, without generating negative feelings that lead you to lose self-confidence:
- Do not make the agreement. A good way to remove incomplete stuff—especially old stuff—is to decide that you are not going to do anything with it. Tossing things to the trash and learning to say no to internal commitments that you do not want or need to do, will make you much more consistent with what you are really committed to do.
- Complete the agreement. Completing an action produces a very positive psychological impact, but it is easy only when you know exactly what it is and why you must do it.
- Renegotiate your agreement. Most often, this is the best strategy. Your world—and your priorities—are constantly changing, and it is not uncommon that today you cannot accomplish something that you had committed some time ago. It is fine, renegotiating an agreement does not mean breaking it.
Of course, first you have to collect all your current agreements. If you do not have an whole inventory of all your work you cannot decide what to do, what not to do and what to renegotiate.
This post is closed to new comments.
Try it FREE for 30 days
Learn how to live a more productive, less stressed life.
- Boost Your Productivity by Eliminating These 8 Time Management Mistakes
- The Email-to-Inbox Feature, Improved
- Is It Possible to Be Happy at Work?
- New Mobile App for iPhone and Android
- Why You Get Stuck in the Status Quo
- Modern Prioritization
- Convention Over Configuration
- Micro-Tasks. The Pleasure of Checking Off
Don't you know FacileThings?
Boost Your #Productivity by Eliminating These 8 Time Management Mistakes http://facilethings.com/blog/en/8-time-management-mistakes
Posted on Oct 12, 07:52
Just published: The Email-to-Inbox Feature, Improved http://facilethings.com/blog/en/email-to-inbox-2 #gtd #productivity
Posted on Oct 05, 10:25
Just published: Is It Possible to Be Happy at Work? http://facilethings.com/blog/en/happiness-at-work #productivity
Posted on Sep 28, 07:15
Just published: Why You Get Stuck in the Status Quo http://facilethings.com/blog/en/default-effect-and-status-quo #productivity
Posted on Sep 15, 07:00
Just published: Modern Prioritization http://facilethings.com/blog/en/modern-prioritization #productivity #gtd
Posted on Sep 07, 08:44